Newton County was created by the Georgia General Assembly on December 24, 1821. It was named for Revolutionary War hero Sergeant John Newton. It was formed from parts of Henry, Jasper, and Walton Counties. The Creek Indians roamed the land until 1813 when Governor Thorp negotiated a treaty in which the Creeks gave up their claim to the land A decade later the last of the Creek Indians were banished to Oklahoma over the "Trail of Tears."
The first white settlers located in Eastern Newton County in a town then-named Winton. "The Brick Store" was built in 1822 and still stands today. Lack of adequate water caused the settlers to move further west and stablish Newtonsboro. The name was later changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the war of 1812. In 1853 Covington was incorporated as a City.
The coming of the railroad in 1845 was the beginning of the growth and stability of Newton County. Newton County's extensive agricultural base produced related industries, like textile mills, as early as the 1840's. After 1900, textiles became a major industry in the area serving the farmers of the surrounding counties.
General Sherman took many treasures from Southerners and Georgians. His army marched a path of death, fire and destruction from Savannah northward. Thankfully, Covington was spared the harsh punishment of these yankee troops. Many original antebellum homes and buildings still stand blended with modern buildings. Together they present an excellent comparison of the past and present.